April 2017 – Free Photography Classes from CreativeLive
FREE PHOTOGRAPHY CLASSES FROM CREATIVELIVE – APRIL 2017
It is time to get out your April calendar and block out some time for yourself to take some CreativeLive classes! All classes listed below and on their “OnAir” calendar are free when broadcast. No catch, free photography classes from the worlds leading experts when broadcast live. The only time you pay is if you want access to the class outside of the free broadcast time. That is it – so get out your calendar and RSVP!
Capture And Share Your Adventures.
It takes the perfect combination of gear, exposure, and creative thinking to produce travel images that stand out from the rest. Learn the how to bring the critical ingredients together in Travel Photography: The Complete Guide with Ben Willmore.
Fresh off a seven-country, two-month international trip, Ben will share everything it takes to create exciting and memorable travel images. You’ll learn how to:
- Deal with everyday tourists in your shots
- Select the best lens for each situation
- Organize the chaos of a scene into a compelling image
Ben will cover everything you want to know about selecting, packing, and protecting gear. You’ll also develop an efficient digital workflow that fits the fast-paced lifestyle of travel shooting.
Don’t go on your next travel adventure without the insights and skills you need to capture high-quality images, fast processing – join Ben Willmore for Travel Photography: The Complete Guide.
Make the most of Photoshop’s diverse color filter menu! In this session, you’ll learn to combine filters with blending modes, smart objects, and blending sliders to produce unique results. Create a workflow for your complex effects, and apply them to your images without having to repeat the many steps needed to duplicate them.
You need more than just great lighting and equipment to create an exceptional portrait. Sometimes a shoot doesn’t go as planned. The location is drab, the client isn’t in the best mood, or you forget to charge your camera batteries. Great portrait photographers are able to think on their feet and connect with their subjects.
- Techniques for choosing the light, process and locations for a successful portrait
- How to build a rapport and utilize clear communication with your subjects
- How to set up a developed concept as well as how to light on the fly
- Successful strategies for marketing yourself as a photographer and how to get your work in front of editors
You’ll watch Victoria photograph real people in limited settings and how to scout multiple opportunities in a limited space. She’ll go through how to make every frame count and how to get the shots the editor requested, as well as those that speak to your vision in the moment. Learn how to make your subject feel comfortable in only a few moments while capturing exquisite images in Portraits Under Pressure.
FREE Live Broadcast
On Location And Studio Tactics For Survival As A Photographer
Internationally acclaimed photographer Joe McNally joins CreativeLive for an in-depth examination on creating stories with light and the strategies every photographer needs for success. This course will walk through various flash techniques on location and in-studio, using both small and big flashes. Joe will cover how to light in various locations, enhancing both your subject and your background to create a complete story, using lighting techniques that have defined his career in photography.
- Get an inside look on location, learning how to work with light to capture the story of your subject and their surroundings
- Expand their knowledge in a studio setting by using multiple flash units to create various looks
- Gain confidence in their career as a photographer by obtaining a better understanding of contracts and relationship management with clients
- Learn more about their own work from Joe’s student critiques
Gain the confidence and versatility as a photographer to shoot in any scenario by understanding big and small flash and the professionalism needed to handle any client.
Learn Targeted And Professional Studio Lighting Techniques.
Your lighting gear and techniques set the mood for your images. Learn how to develop the right atmosphere in your professional photographs in Lighting for Your Target Audience with Jeremy Cowart.
Before you decide which lights and modifiers you want to pull out for a shoot, perhaps the more important question to ask is, “who am I lighting for?”
Professional studio lighting is selectively designed and tailored to the viewer. When you know who your target audience is and what they are looking for you, can develop a successful lighting strategy.
Learn how to develop the perfect technique for your target audience, while staying focused on delivering gorgeous images, in Lighting for Your Target Audience with Jeremy Cowart.
Break Into The Commercial Market.
Commercial photography can be a lucrative and artistically fulfilling way to earn a living as a photographer. Learn what it takes to break into the commercial market and create impressive and imaginative work from industry veteran, Joel Grimes.If you want to attract commercial clients, your existing body of work must have a sophisticated and distinct voice. Joel will coach you through the experience of establishing your own unique voice and show you how to bring it to life through six photo shoots and their corresponding edits. Joel will demonstrate one-light fashion and concept shoots and take you back to the desk to composite and polish them. You’ll also see Joel shooting product and portrait photos using a more elaborate set-up. This course will also cover the business of bidding for commercial work, effective negotiation tactics and final delivery.
If you are ready to break into commercial photography or up your client game, you won’t want to miss this complete guide to shooting, editing and delivering commercial work.
Learn To Use Photo Compositing To Bring A Surreal Fantasy World To Life.
Karen Alsop is known for creating beautiful fantasy worlds through her unique compositing techniques in Lightroom™ and Photoshop™. Whether you’re a wedding, portrait, landscape or commercial photographer, this class will show you how to create beautiful and distinctive images you can offer your clients to expand your business.
Join us for this class, and you’ll learn how to:
- Shoot with your composite in mind: lighting, posing and angles.
- Choose background and subject images that will work best in the composite.
- Learn Lightroom® and Photoshop® techniques to create a fantastical atmosphere.
Karen’s emphasis on creativity and imagination in her process has helped her to make a product that competitors have a hard time recreating. Karen’s beautiful, intricate work is not simply the result of vast technical skill, but rather is the careful integration of a number of elements. She puts subjects at ease and inspires them with artful direction; incorporates them into fantasy landscapes using Lightroom® and Photoshop®; and then effectively prices and markets the final product.
Part of the Complete Photoshop Mastery Bundle.
Explore the creative side of Adobe® Photoshop®. Take a walk down the filter menu and learn what’s lurking in the not-so-obvious filters like Displacement Maps and Lighting Effects. See how the simple text and shape tools can be taken to the next level by incorporating layer styles, clipping masks and more.
- Learn which filters have a special relationship with the Adobe® Photoshop® Blending Modes, which allows for unexpectedly creative results
- See how puppet warping and layer masks will allow you to make a single layer look as if it’s intertwined around another layer
- Start to use Adobe® Photoshop® 3D features to add dimension to otherwise flat imagery
- Create animated slide shows that better keep your viewer’s attention
- Add texture to your images to give them more personality
Flatter Every Subject That Steps In Front Of Your Lens
Photographers are tasked with flattering every subject that steps in front of their lens. Typically, those subjects are everyday people, not professional models. This can mean working with some challenging features along with varying degrees of confidence. Canon Explorer of Light and well-known fashion photographer Lindsay Adler walks through understanding the face and body as well as the photographic tools available to you make your clients best side shine. These features could range from a pronounced nose, large forehead, glasses, asymmetrical features, or defined wrinkles. In this course Lindsay will walk you through:
- How to analyze a face and draw attention to the strengths within it
- Posing and lighting techniques for challenging facial features
- Posing and lighting techniques for the skin and body
- Retouching tips for skin, glasses or discolored teeth
Ready to find out what separates wedding videographers from sought-after wedding cinematographers? Join acclaimed event cinematographer Ray Roman for a crash course in wedding cinematography.
As he shares what he’s learned about filmmaking working with NBA All-Stars, high powered CEOs, and everyone in between, Ray will guide you through every stage of filming a wedding, from first looks to post-production. You’ll learn about the key gear needed for documenting weddings. Ray will cover basic film structure and time-shifting methods. You’ll also explore both basic and advanced composition techniques that you can easily integrate into your workflow. Ray will also share his proven sales and marketing techniques for connecting with clients and turning consultations into sales.
By the end of this course, you’ll have the skills you need to market your services, capture weddings on film, and give your clients a jaw-dropping record of their once-in-a-lifetime event.
Learn how to take the kind of photograph you’ll want to print and pass on to the next generation. John Greengo is back to teach this updated photography for beginners class. You’ll learn the principles of good beginner and intermediate photography and get the skills necessary to create amazing photos.
Advanced cameras are available at modest price points, but learning how to use them takes an investment.
- Learn the the most essential functions of your camera
- Gain confidence in putting new functions into action
- Get the swing of basic photographic terminology
- Feel prepared to move on to more advanced classes
- Gain a solid understanding of must-know lighting and composition techniques
- Lean to position yourself and your subject to capture the best photo possible with the camera you have – no additional gear needed
If you want to take more memorable and inspiring photographs of your travels, your friends and family, or the great outdoors then this photography for beginners class is for you. Learn how to make average pictures amazing photographs and gain the ground necessary to continue your photography education.
Getting started in photography and looking to go beyond natural light? Not every piece of equipment needs to hurt your wallet. Join Mike Hagen as he shows you how to create your own do it yourself home studio. He’ll show you to create a $10,000 DIY photography studio on a budget and how to utilize and still create quality looking images. You’ll learn:
- How to find and create grip equipment by shopping at your local hardware store
- How to create a tabletop studio in your home
- How to put together and light a portrait studio on a budget.
You don’t have to have your own studio space or purchase thousands of dollars worth of equipment to build your portfolio of images. Join Mike as he gets you expanding your portfolio so you can gain the clients to eventually purchase the gear you want to own!
FREE Live Broadcast
Create Family Photos That Leave A Lasting Impression
We love photography because it helps us celebrate and savor life. Capturing those images can be difficult, especially when it’s your own family or friends. Photographer and artist Chris Orwig walks through all the techniques that go into capturing a photo quickly so that you can focus on your subject while relaxed and confident. He’ll discuss tips for working with available light as well as how to develop your own creative style. He’ll discuss gear recommendations and location scouting tips to set your photo shoot up for success.
- How to connect with children and capture real emotion
- Finding moments that photograph well and how to set them up naturally
- Wardrobe tips that make your photos timeless
- When and how you should turn your passion into a profit
- Essential Lightroom workflows for quick processing of your photos
- How to deliver your images or prints and share them for all to enjoy
Start improving your photographs of your family with this course and learn the essential skills you need to make photographs that last a lifetime.
Bring Out the Best in Every Image with Photoshop
Efficient And Effective Retouching Techniques To Use Again And Again.
There are countless ways to edit every image, but there are some specific techniques you can use that will guarantee you are always retouching efficiently and effectively.
In Bring Out the Best in Every Image with Photoshop, Chris Orwig will introduce a range of photographic case studies and discuss changes that will make each photograph stronger. Each project will begin with a raw file and an evaluation of what needs to be done to make the image better. You will explore which tools can be used to accomplish that vision and add polish to the project. You’ll consider new methods of retouching, improving light, enhancing color, selections, selective adjustments, and sharpening.
New Free OnAir Broadcast classes are being added daily – be sure to check out their class schedule here!